Monday, October 6, 2014

You have to! and Por que?

Wow, what a crazy week I have had since my last post.  I hope to provide a blog post every other day, sorry for such a long break between the last one and this one.  It's the world-wide-web but it isn't always so "world-wide" accessible.  Hopefully I have it figured out now though.  :-)

When I was offered the opportunity to participate in this exchange, I asked for a day to think about it before I accepted.  Luckily for me, the offer came on the Thursday right before the Fourth of July weekend.  This gave me until Monday to consider such a significant and life changing decision.  So, obviously my favorite question for anyone I bumped into was, "I'm thinking about moving to Spain for a year, do you think I should do it"?  It made for fun conversation, everyone had an opinion and a few told me what they thought in no uncertain terms.  I can't think of a single person who flatly said, "no, don't do it".  Nearly everyone told me it was an exciting opportunity that I couldn't refuse.  

I remember one instance where Amanda (my wife) and I were out with a couple of our friends at a pub in Marquette Michigan.  I made polite conversation with a woman at a nearby table and then of course the second thing out of my mouth was "I'm thinking of moving to Spain...".  At the end of the conversation it was decided that either I love my children and will be moving to Spain or I will be staying in the state and clearly then do not love my kids.  This was all in good fun but it stands as an example of how people thought about this amazing opportunity.  All of these conversations seemed to end with, "how could you not?" or "you have to!"  It was good advice and I knew I had to jump at the chance.

So, here I am... en Espana!!  

The people here are amazingly friendly and welcoming.  Without their generosity, settling in here would have been impossible.  As I meet the people of Buitrago and the greater Madrid area, I find they are curious about how I came to be here.  Buitrago is a village of approximately 1,500 people so my wife and I along with our tres ninas (three girls) tend to be noticed wherever we go!  One of the most common questions I hear from the people I meet... well, I should clarify that.  The most common question I UNDERSTAND from the people I meet is, "Why (por que) did you decided to come to Spain, especially given that you speak so very little Spanish"?

It's a good question.  I hope I have an equally good answer.
Generally I guess the answer is "growth".  Change brings challenges and through challenge comes the opportunity to grow.  Short jokes aside, I hope that I can grow through this experience both personally and professionally.  

In terms of my personal life, I wanted to open up the world for my children, to see that it's a big place, full of opportunity and adventure.  It is a world full of people who speak different languages from us, who have a different culture from ours but in the end are not so different.  I also wanted to show them that while it might be scary, you have to “jump in” sometimes in life.  We can't always know the answers, we can't be certain that the landing will be soft so waiting until things are perfect before we jump might mean that we never get in at all.  For me, the opportunity presented itself and I jumped; language deficient and all.

In terms of my professional life, I have always thought that my ignorance of other cultures was a significant issue for me.  Interlake High School, as well as all of the Bellevue School District, is a diverse place with a mix of cultures from around the world.  Even though these students come to us from many different countries, they have one thing in common, their family moved from the world they knew to a new and different place.  They may be the first generation to live in the states or perhaps they are several generations beyond that, either way at some point they had to adapt to living in a new culture.  I hope that through my experience this year, I will better understand and relate to these students.  I already feel more capable of sympathizing with those students who enter my classroom unable to speak more than a couple of words of English.  In addition, the opportunity to observe other teachers and other systems of education allow me to reflect on my own practices and where I can improve as an educator.

Thanks for reading, I promise I will post pictures on my next by Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment