Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Welcome to Buitrago

I have yet to show you what my new city looks like!  How rude of me!  Let me show you around a bit.  

Buitrago del Lozoya is the full name of the city.  It is 78 Km (49 miles) north of Madrid, which is about an hour drive by car or two hours by bus (although I have heard reports of much longer times).  Buitrago is a small village with a population of about 1,500 people and while it is small it is surrounded by many much smaller villages some of only 100 people or so.  Many of the students at Gredos San Diego (GSD), the school I teach at in Buitrago, come from the surrounding villages and some from much further.  There is a boarding at GSD and some students stay at the school during the week and go home on the weekend.  The population of the school is approximately equal to that of the town.

The city used to be the location of a medieval castle and much of the castle remains in tact.  It is an excellent little village with lovely people who have been very helpful and kind to us while we get settled.

This past Sunday my family and I took a walk up a nearby hill that overlooks the town.  Here are some pictures from our hike!

















No comments:

Post a Comment